On this episode of “What’s Cooking?” Chef Merry makes a mac & cheese on the stovetop! For those of your that enjoy mac & cheese but don’t like artificial tasting cheese, this recipe is for you! This recipe gives you an end result that is consistently incredibly filling, creamy, and delicious.
For those that want to print & try this recipe you can take it from below:
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard, dissolved in 1 teaspoon of water
- 12 ounces of evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce of choice
- 8 ounces (2 cups) of elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 12 ounces (3 cups) of shredded sharp cheddar, american, or montery jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- For topping: cheese baked snack crackers
NOTE: These amounts make 1 quart of ice cream. Double the amounts for 2-quarts or multiply to make 1 gallon.
- Mix 1 cup of the milk, the eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the pepper, mustard mixture, & hot sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the remaining salt & macaroni when the water comes to a boil. Cook until almost al dente, with a little firmness.
- Drain the pasta & return to the pan, over low heat. Add the butter & toss to melt.
- Pour the mixture set aside over the buttered pasta, along with 75% of the cheese. Stir until thoroughly combined, & the cheese begins to melt.
- Gradually add the remaining milk & cheese, in 2-3 batches. Stir constantly until the mixture is hot & creamy, about 5 minutes.
Let us know what you think, and how it went if you decided to make it yourself. I’m also always willing to try new things, so feel free to email recipe recommendations to email@example.com.