On this episode of “What’s Cooking?” Chef Merry makes a chili you can make on a weeknight! This recipe is easy, but it still tastes absolutely fantastic. We previously made a cornbread recipe, found by clicking here, that we recommend you pair with this dish.
There’s only two of us, so this is a great recipe for us to have leftovers. You can even freeze the leftovers and heat them back up later for another easy weeknight meal. As of me typing this we actually made this a month ago and plan on having the rest next week…saving a little for chili dogs the next day.
Please note that this is the one of several episodes filmed with Dave’s iPhone & minimal equipment during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is his hope to release videos every other week during the next month or two.
For those that want to print & try this recipe you can take it from below.
- 28 oz can | Tomatoes
- 15 oz can | Kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup | Chili powder
- 4 tablespoons | Butter
- 1 cup | Low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons | Instant cornmeal
- 1/2 cup | Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon | Anchovy paste (optional)
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon | Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon | Dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions
- 2 pounds – ground beef
- Melt butter in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, oregano, & pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chipotles, anchovy paste, chili powder, & cumin. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste & cook, stiring until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef & cook until no longer pink (not browned), breaking up into pieces & stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, & cornmeal. Stir to combine & bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer & cook for about 30 minutes until chili has thickened.
Let us know what you think, and how it went if you decided to make it yourself. I’m also always willing to try new things, so feel free to email recipe recommendations to email@example.com.