On this episode of “What’s Cooking?” Chef Merry makes a blueberry breakfast cake. When doing this episode we posted a picture of our setup and somebody guessed blueberry lemon muffins...so they were pretty close.
For those that want to print & try this recipe you can take it from below:
- 1 teaspoon – Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon – Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup – Unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1 egg, at room temp
- 1/2 cup – Buttermilk
- To make place 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a 1/2 cup measure, fill rest of the way with milk, & let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons – Baking powder
- 1 cup – White sugar
- 2 cups – Fresh bliueberries
- 2 cups – All-purpose flour
- Zest from 1 lemon
NOTE: Some additional flour & sugar may be needed
- Preheat your oven to 350˚, then grease an 8×8 pan.
- Toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup of the flour in a bowl & set aside.
- Whisk the remaining flour, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine the butter, sugar, & lemon zest in a large bowl. Cream until light & fluffy.
- You can do this by hand or use a hand-held or stand mixer, if available.
- Add the egg & vanilla, then beat until combined.
- Add in half the flour & stir until incorporated, then add the buttermilk & stir. Add the remaining flour & stir until the flour has been absorbed.
- Fold the blueberries into the mixture.
- Spread the batter into the pan. Optionally, you can sprinkle the top of the batter with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
Let us know what you think, and how it went if you decided to make it yourself. I’m also always willing to try new things, so feel free to email recipe recommendations to email@example.com.