On this episode of “What’s Cooking?” Chef Merry makes slow cooker carnitas! This is definitely not a traditional carnitas dish, but works perfect if you want flavorful & tender pork with little work.
This can be left for either an afternoon or all-day in a slow cooker, and the end results won’t disappoint. This can be served a bunch of ways, we tend to have it as a burrito with some refried beans, rice, and cheese.
For those that want to print & try this recipe you can take it from below:
- 3 pounds – Pork butt (shoulder), rind removed & cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon – Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon – Ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon – Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon – Ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon – Chinese 5-spice
- You can substitute this for All Spice, which is what we did.
- The peels & juice from 1 orange
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled & whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
NOTE: This needs to be salted generously, so be sure to use at least a tablespoon of salt.
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover & set the slow cooker to low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- When done pork should be fork tender. Remember to remove the bay leaves.
- Optionally, you can take out the carnitas and transfer them to a sheet pan. Put under a broiler set on high until crispy, about 8 minutes.
- Serve however you want.
Let us know what you think, and how it went if you decided to make it yourself. I’m also always willing to try new things, so feel free to email recipe recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org.